Healthy Entertaining with Katie from Running4Cupcakes


We’re back with another submission for this month’s Healthy Living Tuesdays series: Healthy Entertaining!

The best part of our HLT series is the open-invitation to participate. Here’s how you can play along: Sometime in the next few weeks, write a post on your own blog under the “Healthy Entertaining” theme. When the last Tuesday of the month shows up, we’ll host a link up. Participating is a great challenge: How will you make your post stand out in a community of bloggers writing under the same theme? Plus, the link up at the end of the month is an awesome way to promote your greatest content!

Between now & then, we’ll be showing off some of our members own posts on the subject manner – so, be sure to come back and visit each week to get a taste of how others are tackling the topic themselves. It’s a great way to find new bloggers to read and get to know your fellow HLB Members. [If you’re interested in writing for future Healthy Living Tuesday featured posts, drop us an email at]

Hi all. I’m Katie and I blog at Running4Cupcakes.



My blog follows my life and my quest for balance and healthy living. I blog about everything, but my favorite topics are running, teaching BODYPUMP, being a new Mom, my latte addiction, crafts, new recipes, baking, and lots of pictures of Luke (my 18 month old) and Abby (my 9 year old collie mix).


I am here today to share with you a few of my tips for healthy entertaining during the Holiday season!

Christmas_2012 018

Before the party:

#1. Get your sweat on. A good workout is always a great way to start the day, especially when you are going to be partying it up later. It makes you feel better about yourself, burns some extra calories, and gives you more energy! Bonus points if you take family members with you. . .

Thanksgiving weekend_2012 123

#2. Eat well the rest of the day. The worst thing you can do is not eat well and try to “save up calories” and then go to the party starving and ready to eat everything in sight.

Going to the party:

#3. I like to bring containers as a gift for the hostess. It’s not food, so she doesn’t have to worry about whether to serve it or save it for later. And who can’t use some extra storage containers –especially around the holidays!! I love the holiday inspired ones.

At the party:

#4. Everything in moderation. If you eat fairly healthy most of the time, then a party or two won’t ruin everything. I like to follow the 80/20 rule – if I eat well 80% of the time, then the other 20% of the time, I can eat whatever I want!
#5. If it isn’t good, don’t eat it. .. don’t waste calories on things that are just ok. If you eat a cookie and it isn’t the best. Don’t eat 4 more just because. Try something else, or save those calories for something that is worth it.


#6. Remember why you are there. . . NOT to eat all the food, but to hang out with friends and probably laugh your butt off, right? So, grab one plate or drink and then get away from the food and be part of the party.

Throwing the party:

#7. Provide fun healthy options.

§ One of my all time favorite things is flavored water. And my friend, Sue, reminded me of this great tip –> get a big glass pitcher and fill it with water and fruit – you can really do anything – apples, cranberries, grapes, oranges, lemon, etc. So good!

§ Make fun ice cubes – another healthy way to jazz up boring water is to add fruit to ice cubes and freeze. A few cranberries in each one or mandarin oranges are super cute.

#8. Offer options. It’s a party, so you don’t want to substitute Greek yogurt for everything. . . here and there is ok, but make sure you offer a few healthy options as well as the typical party fare that you love to make and people come to your parties for!!

#9. Deal with leftovers. Option #1 – Send leftovers home with people. If you are one of those people who can’t say no the next day to that pan of sugar cookie bars, then make up goodie bags to send a few treats home with each person. Option #2. – freeze things. Pretty much everything and anything can be frozen, especially baked goods and cookies. Perfect to freeze away and pull out on another weekend.


And finally #10. Have fun. No matter what. When it comes down to it, life is about living and we are all striving for a healthy balance, right? Well, part of that balance is fun and enjoying life. So, get out there and party it up! Smile


What tips did I miss for the Holiday season? How do you balance healthy living and holidays?


  1. Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *