This month we asked our contributors to write under the topic “My Summer _______ List.” How they filled in the blank was left up to them and boy have we got some creative reads coming up for you this month.
Don’t forget that we’re challenging YOU to stretch your creative muscles, vow to write a strong, unique post each month alongside your fellow HLB members. You can read more about our challenge here: Dear Future HLB . To participate, during the month of June, write an A+ post under the same topic as our contributors, “My Summer _________ List,” and publish it on your own site. Next Tuesday we’ll host a link up on HLB for you to show off your hard work and promote your blog!
Hi! I’m Brittany and I write a little blog over at A Healthy Slice of Life where I talk about navigating the world of healthy living as a new mom. I like to talk about how healthy living can be manageable, tasty and downright enjoyable. Basically I balance kale and my husband’s homebrew.
I also love lists. So when Heather asked me to write a summer list, I jumped on it!
Anyone else out there like lists? From the limited and unscientific research I’ve done, I know I’m not the only one that bubbles up with excitement when I get to cross through an item on my to-do list. Heck, I’ll even write something I did down that wasn’t on the list just do get that jolt of satisfaction that comes with checking it off. While usually I’m a to-do list kind of gal, this summer, I’m taking a different approach. Check out my summer to-DON’T list!
1. Do NOT get sunburned. Melanoma runs in my family and with my plethora of “beauty marks” and several trips to the tanning bed during my teenage years (DUMB.), it’s important that I protect my skin as much as possible. I wear SPF 30 on my face every day. I also apply it to my neck and hands, since they are skin-sensitive and can show age even more so than your face. When I’m heading out for a day full of activity in the sun, I make sure to lather up and reapply. I use Alba Botanica Mineral Sunscreen because it doesn’t have the harmful chemicals most sunscreens have.
2. Do NOT get dehydrated. I usually do a decent job of staying hydrated because I can eat my body weight in watermelon. However, lugging around a 15 pound melon isn’t feasibly most of the time, so I always make sure to carry water with me. My favorite water bottle is either my Bamboo Bottle. It’s a bit heavier, but I love that it’s made with glass and natural resources.
3. Do NOT forget to eat plenty of summer treats. I’m not talking key lime pie (though I won’t say no to that either), but I’m talking about real tomatoes and juicy berries fresh from the vine. I refuse to buy mealy, flavorless grocery-store tomatoes, so until they run out, you can count on seeing my piling up the real deal at the farmers market and eating BLTS like they’re going out of style (like that would ever happen!).
4. Do NOT forget to take care of my skin. Even though I’ll be protected from the sun, I need a good moisturizer for after the shower. Now that I’ve discovered coconut oil, slathering it on has become my favorite post-shower ritual. It leaves my skin nourished deeply with a faint scent of coconut. This way I wander around all day pretending I’m at the beach. Bliss.
5. Do NOT let my workouts fall by the wayside. The Carolina heat and humidity sure can put a damper on my exercise drive, so this summer I’ll either move outdoor workouts the water (just keep swimming!) or embrace the sweat and enjoy a good hot yoga class. There are always classes and treadmills to keep things interesting in between, too.
So now you tell me. What’s one thing you DON’T plan on doing this summer?