I know our updates are typically on Saturdays, but there is a new, big update happening to HLB that everyone needs to be aware of.
Starting today all new bloggers interested in being listed on Healthy Living Blogs will need to send us the standard Members email, and they will then be sent an invoice via PayPal for $10.
Charging for membership for HLB is something I (Lindsey, HLB Founder) have been reluctant to do. From the very first day that HLB became a distant dream in my mind, I planned on including a fee for membership. After all, there would be fees for creating the site, site maintenance, and of course, time. When the time came to launch HLB though, I just didn’t feel comfortable having a fee. Despite the ton of feedback I received from many bloggers stating that they’d be willing to pay a small one-time fee or yearly fee for such a site, I somehow still irrationally doubted anyone would be interested in HLB if they had to pay for it.
Well, I’ve finally realized I should have listened to the original feedback, particularly because the time commitment is MUCH greater than anticipated. To the point where there now has to be three admins, and even still, it seems like we don’t have the time to do everything we need to make HLB all we want it to be and it needs to be.
At my core, I still love HLB, but unfortunately I’ve had the thought of just deleting the site many times, simply because the time commitment is way too much.
So, this is why in order to keep HLB up and running, we are now charging for new members.
This is also why we are strongly, strongly encouraging current HLB members to either donate or find us additional sponsors.
If you want to keep HLB, we need your support.
I know there are going to be a lot of questions about this, so here are some already frequently asked questions:
- Q: I’m already a member and it pisses me off that I have to pay. I don’t want to pay. Am I able to stay on HLB?
- A: Yes. I (Lindsey) did not feel comfortable going back and now charging everyone. I would be pissed, too. So if you’re already a member, you do not have to pay. That said, we could really, really use your support, which is why we’re asking you to make a donation. However, if you can’t pay, you will not be deleted from the listings.
- Q: Is this a one time fee or a yearly fee?
- A: UPDATED ANSWER: This is a one time fee.
At this time, we’re still debating this. Ideally, I’d like to get so many sponsors that a year from now, it’s not necessary to continue a $10 yearly fee. However, if down the road we decide to make this a yearly $10 fee (which has been suggested that we should), that’s still less than a dollar a month for a service that we’re being told is a great service and resource to the community, and something that we’ve been told has positively, significantly increased the traffic and exposure many of your blogs are seeing.
- Q: Where does this money go?
- A: With current donations and sponsors, we still haven’t even quite broken even with our initial expenses of the site (web hosting, domain name, theme, etc.). We also need to get an LLC for HLB, which is another cost. Plus, right now, the biggest reason that HLB is not sustainable is because of the huge time commitment that it is. While we are always improving our efficiency and the process that we do things, it takes a lot of time to make HLB what it is. There have been weeks where we’ve all put in 20, 30, 40 and more hours a week, EACH, on top of our personal blogs, our personal lives, separate jobs and/ or school. To be honest, this has been a matter of time, because we can’t work away at HLB like we’ve been doing while seeing no return. I understand if you think I’m greedy or selfish, but please consider it from our point of view, too.
- Q: What if I want to be a new member on HLB but I really can’t afford it?
- A: Talk to us. If you truly can’t afford it, let us know. We can try to work something else out.
If you have any other questions, please leave them in a comment or send us an email at email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your support and for helping to keep HLB sustainable!